Tuesday 19 March 2013

A kinder Kinder surprise?

Surprise! (for girls)


Kinder Surprise has had it's share of controversy, which is funny when you consider that it's candy with a toy inside.

We all know that the US banned the toy because fun is illegal there but recently Kinder released a line of chocolate eggs that feature prizes exclusively for girls that has also received some negative press.

Some people don't like the idea of telling girls what toys they should or shouldn't be playing with, and complained that the toys can be sexist.

I'm not so sure about that, but I am curious as to what toys Kinder considers "for girls".

So I bought 3 of them to get to the bottom of it.  (also, chocolate, mmm.)

Packaging



The only real difference in the packaging is a slight pink hue at the top of the egg.  Side by side with the regular Kinder eggs it's noticeable, but in this lighting you can barely tell.

Chocolate


Still the same as the original!  And delicious!  Moving on.

The Egg


Remember the original dark orange plastic egg that used to be inside of these things?  They were the worst.  So difficult to open, especially for kids with little hands.  They've definitely improved it.

But what's inside...?

The Prize


A cute little raccoon!  Look, he wants to say hello.  I'm not sure he's entire trustworthy, though.




I knew it.  He just wanted some of our food.  Well, I guess we can spare some sweet and sour pork.

It's funny, this toy seems fairly gender neutral to me, especially if you're buying for younger children.  It's all one piece, nothing to put together, and while cute, I wouldn't call it particularly "girly".

The Next Day

Out of curiosity, I bought 2 more of them today to see what other prizes Kinder had thought up.

And one of them was more what I had originally expected.

Is it my colour?
The other was a puzzle.  I'm not sure puzzles count as prizes, but Melissa enjoyed putting it together.

So, in the end, here's what Kinder has as prizes for girls.


Not really all that different from what you'd find in the pink coloured aisle of any toy store.

That raccoon is pretty cute, though.

He'll probably get a new home on our bookshelf.


What do you think about chocolate egg prizes made just for girls?

It makes me want there to be a line of prizes just for boys.  I can always use an extra toy race car around the house.





No comments:

Post a Comment