Sunday 24 February 2013

Better Beans, Better Coffee.


I'm Paul Morrow, and I'm going to have a different year.  

And I don't mean better. People say the word "better" all the time to describe how they want their life to be, but that's not defined enough for me. What is better, really?  

Is better moving to a new city? Is better switching the brand of coffee you drink? Is it a complete change in your life, or an upgrade on your current life?  If you can't really define where you want to be or what you want to do, it's hard to get there.  

That's what I've come to realize recently, anyway.  

I should probably tell you a little about myself before going too much further.

I don't have anything in my nose, do I?
I'm 33, married to my beautiful wife, Melissa. She is seriously the best thing that has ever happened to me.  No exaggeration. Like a best friend that I also get to share a bed with. But I could fill a whole post telling you about her, so I'll move on.  (psst, that's her down below.)

I'd accept her charges any day.
I'm a DJ. Well, "on air personality" is the preferred term now. I work for 2 radio stations in Nanaimo, BC, on Vancouver Island. One of the prettiest places I've ever lived.  

I'm the Weekend Personality on 102.3 The Wave www.1023thewave.com Sat 9-3 Sun 10-6

It's a Hot AC (pop music) station that plays songs from the 1980's to now. We play Lady Gaga, The Script and Swedish House Mafia, but we also play Bryan Adams, Blondie, and all the best New Wave. Let me put it like this, if I say Madonna is coming up, it could be almost any of her singles.  

This Madonna...

...and this Madonna!  All for one low price!
I'm Evenings on 106.9 The Wolf  Thursday through Sunday, too   www.1069thewolf.com 6pm-Midnight

It's a rock station that plays all the greats, Ozzy, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, more Rush than anywhere I've ever worked and lots of cool new music too like the Black Keys and the Rival Sons. And don't worry about the 90s rock. We've got you covered. I can never get enough Stone Temple Pilots or Alice in Chains.  


Keith Richards.
He might be as old as the Rockies, but goddamn Doom & Gloom is a good song.


I've been working in radio for what feels like a long time, since 2006 I think. Maybe 2007. 

Nanaimo is the third city I've worked in. I started in Peace River, AB, moved to Kelowna 2 years later, and then Nanaimo about 2 years after that. 

Okay, now here's the thing.  

Ever since I've graduated from BCIT, I feel like my life has been mostly out of control. Not spiralling towards disaster or anything like that, but that I'm trying to get somewhere and I've been somewhat successful, but not really by design. More by stabbing in the dark.  

Is that a terrible thing to say?  

Again, it's not a bad thing. I'm quite happy with most aspects of my life. Happily married. A nice (new!) apartment. A career that rarely feels like work but is at the same time incredibly rewarding. But I still feel like I'm living the life of someone 10 years younger than me. Like I should have a plan.  

So, that's the kind of year I want to have. One where I make plans and follow through with them.  

I don't expect it to be easy.  So I'm starting small.  

This blog is actually Step 1. It's something I've always wanted to do. 

It's going to be a place where I talk about the city I live in, the people I talk to, and the experiences I have.  

I'll be sharing it with Melissa. She'll be free to post on it anytime that she likes too.  

I'll try not to make her mad too often.  


It begins.  




Oh, and I know it's only rock and roll.

But I like it.  




  










No comments:

Post a Comment